Thursday, March 01, 2007

Reading: You Decide

I read a lot of non-fiction. My wife thinks too much*. Theology, sociology, ethics, and many more topics might cross my eyes throughout the week. Every once in awhile, though, I feel the need to connect with my humanity again--I'll pick up a good story, a fictional story. I've always found it funny that I get my feet on the ground by entering imaginary worlds.

Anyway.

What fiction book should I read? I'm so out of touch that I thought I'd ask you, the faithful reader. Thanks in advance for your help.

What shall it be?

-----------
*Update:

The first two sentences of the post sound like a dig against my wife. Such is not so. Please read them as "I read a lot of non-fiction. My wife believes that I should broaden my horizons with books of various sorts." Thank you.

4 comments:

Al said...

I find myself reading a lot of fictional stories and sometimes getting more out of those than non-fiction. I will with hold and give you three books to read...

1. Five Smooth Stones by Ann Fairbairn.
(it's a thick read, but the most a-mazing read. One minute you become sorrowful and the next you want to throw the book out the window because you are so angry. It's wonderful.)

2. Travels with Charley by John Steinbeck
(a Winnebago, a dog, and john...going across America! It's a small read, quite amusing and insightful)

3. Nine Stories by J.D. Salinger
(short reads...each 15 or so minutes. It's J.D. Salinger so be prepared to be confused, delighted, and depressed all in a split second)

Jason said...

1. Tim O'Brien-- the Things They Carried is a book I think everyone should read at some point. Going After Cacciato and In the Lake of the Woods are just as good. Some think O'Brien is a one-trick pony, since he tends to dip into his experiences in Vietnam for almost every novel, but whatever. Amazing author.

2. Dave Eggers-- A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius. While hard to stomach in spots, it's heart-breaking, touching and wildly funny in spots. And though it's technically a biography, Eggers takes so many creative liberties that it's basically fiction.

3. Flannery O'Connor-- anything. Duh.

Anonymous said...

Travels with Charley, though great and featuring a standard poodle, is non-fiction. I'd pass along The Name of the Rose by Umberto Ecco. Complex, compelling and full of symbolism.

Jason said...

Nice! I was going to recommend Eco's Foucault's Pendulum, but forgot to until now. So, FP is a great read too.